The Director of Construction for Habitat Hillsborough is a vital team member of our organization. The ideal candidate holds a true passion for helping our families’ dream of homeownership become a reality.
- Must be adept with all stages of residential real estate and construction industry
- Skilled knowledge of construction trades to instruct and supervise other craftsmen and unskilled volunteers alike
- Highly effective organization, communication and human relation skills
- Possess patience, good training skills and be able to work with people at their level
- Familiarity with processes and procedures in obtaining building permits and inspections
- Developed understanding of financial management, cash flow and cost analysis
- Position requires work on Saturdays
II. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for all aspects of residential real estate construction, including planning, scheduling, budgeting, forecasting and completion of each home
- Secure building permits and ensure that all inspections are scheduled and passed in a timely manner
- Coordinate the work assignments for site supervisors and verify the work completed
- Ensure that all staff and volunteers work safely, have proper safety equipment and instruction, and the site is in compliance with OSHA standards
- Follow-up with site supervisors to plan the weekly work of Habitat construction volunteers and Habitat families
- Oversee volunteers’ performance for quality purpose with positive communication
- Coordinate with site supervisors of the day-to-day work to make sure they complete their tasks including but not limited to the following: order materials, schedule subcontractors and inspections and schedule work days with volunteer coordinator
- Review, analyze and recommend materials and service vendors based on competitive pricing and availability
- Develop budget for each home and construction projects, including bidding of contracts of trade companies
- Build partnerships to increase in-kind donations for materials and/or labor
- Maintain all inventories of all Habitat tools, supplies, building materials, equipment, etc., ensuring their operation, condition and security
- Keep the various warehouses and storage facilities in an orderly manner, ensuring that all supplies and equipment are properly accounted for and available for use
- Review, code and approve all expenses related to construction
- Maintain contact and good relations with skilled construction professionals and suppliers in the Tampa Bay community
- Schedule and attend all Construction Committee meetings and weekly staff meetings
- Tour sites for potential home development with thorough knowledge of HFHHC standards of location, site improvement and family desirability standards and provide written reviews and recommendations
- Search and find suitable sites for our rehab programs, visit with homeowner candidates to make a scope of work and budget for each project
- Direct the acquisition of all construction-related materials, including preparation of estimates, bidding and ordering
- Manage all subcontracted labor, including scheduling, directing and coordinating for electrical, plumbing, HVAC, utility and site preparation
- Coordinate inspections and perform pre-inspections for OSHA compliance
- Manage construction process in order to meet goals for home construction as specified by board of directors
- Maintain project management and timeline scheduling system for staff and volunteers
- Provide a weekly report to Executive Director and other reports as needed
III. EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree is highly preferred
- General Contractor license required in active status
- Five years’ experience in residential real estate construction, with neighborhood development experience preferred
- Experience working with governmental agencies and officials
- Construction supervisory experience required in new construction and rehab work
- Ability to maintain and manage work for multiple properties and projects
- Support a positive atmosphere at the job site by maintaining a positive, professional, safe and harassment-free work environment
- Serve as ambassador for HFHHC on the worksite and in the community
- Public speaking and presentation skills desirable
- Valid driver’s license required
- Commitment to Habitat’s mission.
- Ability to relate to people with diverse backgrounds.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Self-starter with ability to work both independently and with other staff and volunteers.
- Ability to relate to people of different races, faiths and incomes.
- Physical ability to complete work on the job site or in the store/warehouse, even during inclement weather.
- Ability to regularly and safely lift 90 lbs.
- Basic knowledge of building supplies.
- Provide outstanding customer service to donors, volunteers and customers.
Reports to: ReStore Supervisor and/or Manager
Time Requirements: 40 hours per week
Permits and Licenses: Valid driver’s license
- Participate in donation pick-up, including driving company truck.
- Receive, load and unload and allocate donations.
- Assist as needed with pricing, and control that inventory through price reductions.
- Assist customers.
- Assist store manager as directed.
- Assist on deconstruction projects as needed.
- Maintain vehicles.
- Keep vehicles clean.
- Provide maintenance reports to Resource Development Coordinator.
- Check daily update of the donation calendar to reflect any changes.
- Provide support and ideas to constantly improve all aspects of the ReStore.
- Perform other duties as assigne
In accordance with the American Disabilities Act:
This position requires the physical ability to sit, walk and/or stand for prolonged periods of time. This individual must also have the use of all senses, to include, but not limited to sight, hearing, smell and taste while possessing the ability to stand, stoop, bend, grasp, and/or hold to complete warehouse, storage shed, and shop work. The normal workplace will be out of the office and in the warehouse, box truck and outside. A majority of the work may be in non-temperature-controlled conditions. The position requires persons who are able to safely lift at least 50-100 pounds on a regular and frequent basis.
- Work the hours of 8:30 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday.
- Perform necessary clerical duties, including answering and directing calls, filing, ordering supplies, answering the phone and other such clerical tasks.
- Be able to navigate the Internet to conduct research, information and documentation as needed to support the staff and the affiliate.
- Maintaining the proper inventory of office supplies, and inquiring as to needs of staff for supplies.
- Maintain a weekly and monthly calendar for the office, site build and other affiliate initiatives.
- Provide accurate information to volunteers regarding location directions, activities, time schedules and days of build.
- Set up appointments for executive director, human resources, volunteers, families and any other assigned appointments.
- Support data entry efforts for volunteer waivers, homeowner sweat equity hours and donation receipts.
- Write well-thought thank you notes and letters to volunteers, board members, corporate partners and other organizations in a professional manner to properly represent the HFHHC brand.
- Perform light cleaning to ensure the front office is always in a presentable manner, including dusting of front desk and all items on desk, sweeping lobby area, emptying trash and all other tasks to keep the area neat.
- Photocopy and scan documents as needed to assist with others in the office.
- Maintain copiers, phones, computers and other technological devices, includingtroubleshooting problems to avoid inefficiencies.
- Act as liaison for all office needs, including pest control, facility maintenance, office supplies, etc.
- Assist the executive director with any other tasks as deemed necessary.
Habitat Hillsborough is an Equal Opportunity Employer.